Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
In the Mediterranean, an appetizer.
- ‘You can make a meal of meze along with the excellent freshly baked flatbread that washes up on the table like a puffy, sesame-crusted raft.’
- ‘Afterwards, we continued to enjoy watching the dolphins entertain guests from the deck of Corals Restaurant, a delightful indoor/outdoor bistro specializing in Mediterranean mezes only 20 feet away from the dolphin pool.’
- ‘Once you reach your resort, be sure not to miss the typical Cypriot meze.’
- ‘You can sample wine, nibble on meze and hobnob with friendly locals.’
- ‘Alternatively, ask for meze which gives you a taste of all those dishes with a smattering of fried squid and fasolia, cooked beans with tomato and herbs.’
- ‘The same could be said for the food, which is ingeniously served on food sticks - chunky, hollowed-out planks housing various meze, Thai and world fusion foods.’
- ‘You can gobble it whole, or dip it in a bowl of tzatziki, or enjoy it in tandem with any one of fifteen inventive varieties of meze.’
- ‘When people eat out they often order meze, a large collection of small dishes starting with various dips and salads and ending with grilled meat or fish.’
- ‘Other meals can begin with meze served with rakia (fruit brandy).’
- ‘Kinzer also logged plenty of evenings in the Turkish bistros called meyhanes eating meze, or small plates of appetizers, and consuming raki, the Turkish national beverage.’
- ‘Pasha continues the winning streak with its carefully made meze, the bright-tasting first courses that are so much fun to eat, and its deftly grilled kebabs of lamb and chicken.’
- ‘Apart from the fact that there was delicious meze there was also quite a lot of wine, and we had several deep and meaningful conversations about relationships that I can't exactly remember today.’
- ‘Our table was groaning with plates of meze and dressed with chilled bottles of Villa Doluca (the ubiquitous vin de table of Turkey).’
- ‘Turkey is also famous for its appetizers, called meze, made from meat, fish, and vegetables.’
Turkish and modern Greek.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.