Abnormal bleeding from the uterus.
- ‘The patient's past medical history was significant for metrorrhagia in 1998.’
- ‘Transient metrorrhagia was reported in five women taking spironolactone.’
- ‘Salvia breaks up stagnated Blood, produces new Blood, calms the fetus, facilitates the removal of a dead fetus, stops metrorrhagia and leukorrhea and regulates channels.’
- ‘Potential causes for excessive uterine bleeding during menstruation or metrorrhagia (ie, intermenstrual bleeding) may include hyperplasia or adenocarcinoma.’
- ‘They are used for perspiration caused by weakness, chronic cough, chronic diarrhea, spermatorrhea, enuresis, frequent urination, chronic leucorrhea, metrorrhagia, etc.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek mētra womb + -rrhag-, stem of rhēgnunai to burst.