One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The basic monetary unit of Mozambique, equal to 100 centavos.
- ‘We are demanding that the minimum wage at Mabor be increased from 630,000 meticais to 1.5 million meticais a month.’
- ‘The police investigator also said Nini had tried to bribe him several times, once offering five billion meticais.’
- ‘You can get away without changing currency in South Africa - when you need meticais, there's always someone on hand willing to take your rands, or better yet, US dollars.’
- ‘Hunched figures squatted against the walls in the greenish gloom, working silently, bent over filigree necklaces crafted from melted down meticais, the Mozambican currency.’
- ‘The government liberalised exchange rates and the value of the national currency against the US dollar plummeted from 40 metical in 1986 to approximately 10,000 metical in 1996.’
Portuguese, based on Arabic miṯqāl, from ṯaqala ‘to weigh’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.