Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A synthetic drug that stimulates the sympathetic and central nervous systems and is used to improve mental activity in attention deficit disorder and other conditions.→ Ritalin
- ‘Traditional treatments, such as the stimulant drugs methylphenidate and amphetamine, outperformed caffeine in improving functioning and reducing levels of hyperactivity.’
- ‘We have seen it with antidepressants in adults and methylphenidate in behaviourally disordered children.’
- ‘Ritalin is the brand name for methylphenidate, a central nervous system stimulant that is often prescribed for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).’
- ‘The primary legitimate medicinal use of methylphenidate is for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children.’
- ‘More severe problems may require treatment, including educational changes, behavioural programmes, family therapy, individual counselling, and the use of stimulant medications such as methylphenidate and dexamphetamine.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.