One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug that stimulates the sympathetic and central nervous systems, used chiefly to improve mental activity in attention deficit disorder.Also called Ritalin (a trademark)
- ‘Ritalin is the brand name for methylphenidate, a central nervous system stimulant that is often prescribed for ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).’
- ‘The primary legitimate medicinal use of methylphenidate is for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children.’
- ‘More severe problems may require treatment, including educational changes, behavioural programmes, family therapy, individual counselling, and the use of stimulant medications such as methylphenidate and dexamphetamine.’
- ‘Traditional treatments, such as the stimulant drugs methylphenidate and amphetamine, outperformed caffeine in improving functioning and reducing levels of hyperactivity.’
- ‘We have seen it with antidepressants in adults and methylphenidate in behaviourally disordered children.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.