Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Mix or impregnate with methanol or methylated spirit.
Introduce a methyl group into (a molecule or compound)
- ‘In many organisms, nuclear DNA is methylated at cytosine residues, resulting in 5-methylcytosine.’
- ‘An enzyme that methylates the carboxyl side chain of IAA has recently been described.’
- ‘Some molecules are heavily methylated while others are not, consistent with our previous observations.’
- ‘When this hydroxyl group is then methylated to give there is a very significant, 3000-fold, decrease in inhibitor binding.’
- ‘The ability of these compounds to methylate DNA, however, correlated with the biological activity.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.