One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A sedative and sleep-inducing drug.Also called Quaalude
- ‘The variation in court understanding has affected drugs such as buprenorphine and methaqualone, and most notoriously ecstasy type drugs.’
- ‘Drugs for which subjects were tested included cocaine, opiates, marijuana, phencyclidine, benzodiazepines, methaqualone, methadone, propoxyphene, barbiturates, and amphetamines.’
- ‘You have enough stuff here to manufacture methaqualone, which is the active ingredient of Mandrax.’
- ‘The laboratories had the highest concordance in testing for methadone (fifteen positive cases), methaqualone (zero positive cases) and PCP (six positive cases).’
- ‘The second change established penal distinction between ‘more harmful drugs,’ such as heroin, cocaine and LSD, and those that ‘cause less health harm,’ such as cannabis (but also methaqualone, flunitrazepam, and alprazolam).’
1960s: from elements of its chemical name meth- + -a- + qu(inine) + a(zo- + -o)l + -one.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.