A sedative and sleep-inducing drug.Also called Quaalude (trademark)
- ‘The second change established penal distinction between ‘more harmful drugs,’ such as heroin, cocaine and LSD, and those that ‘cause less health harm,’ such as cannabis (but also methaqualone, flunitrazepam, and alprazolam).’
- ‘Drugs for which subjects were tested included cocaine, opiates, marijuana, phencyclidine, benzodiazepines, methaqualone, methadone, propoxyphene, barbiturates, and amphetamines.’
- ‘The variation in court understanding has affected drugs such as buprenorphine and methaqualone, and most notoriously ecstasy type drugs.’
- ‘You have enough stuff here to manufacture methaqualone, which is the active ingredient of Mandrax.’
- ‘The laboratories had the highest concordance in testing for methadone (fifteen positive cases), methaqualone (zero positive cases) and PCP (six positive cases).’
1960s: from elements of its chemical name meth- + -a- + qu(inine) + a(zo- + -o)l + -one.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.