A toxic, colorless, volatile flammable liquid alcohol, originally made by distillation from wood and now chiefly by oxidizing methane.Also called methyl alcohol
- ‘The fuel cell generates electricity as a by-product of a chemical reaction involving dilute methanol.’
- ‘For example, the alcohol derivative of methane is methanol and of ethane is ethanol.’
- ‘It will also act on other small molecules, including methanol and ethylene glycol.’
- ‘For instance, consider the difference between ethyl alcohol and methanol.’
- ‘The nucleus suspension was fixed in methanol: acetic acid and air dried.’
Late 19th century: from methane + -ol.