- systematic chemical name for formic acid
- ‘In addition, the methanoic acid would be used as a feedstock to manufacture higher chemicals and polymers.’
- ‘The majority of methanol is used in the manufacture of methanal, with smaller amounts of methanoic acid (formic acid) and chloromethane also being manufactured.’
- ‘Condensation of methanoic acid with ethanol will produce ethyl methanoate, an ester having the odor of rum.’
- ‘It produces a wide range of products including ethanoic acid, methanoic acid, propanoic acid and propanone.’
- ‘When methanol is used as a starting material, methanoic acid is formed.’
Late 19th century: methanoic, from methane + -oic (perhaps on the pattern of benzoic).