One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- systematic chemical name for formaldehyde
- ‘As has already been stated oxidation yields the aldhyde methanal, but further oxidation of this will yield the carboxylic acid methanoic acid.’
- ‘Synthesis gas is used to manufacture methanal (formaldehyde, CH 2 = O), and also methanol.’
- ‘For example, menthanol boils at 150.8°F and methanal boils at - 5.8°F.’
- ‘It is manufactured by heating methanal with ammonium chloride.’
- ‘A particularly important reaction is with the aldehyde methanal.’
Late 19th century: blend of methane and aldehyde.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.