One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic analgesic drug that is similar to morphine in its effects but longer acting, used as a substitute drug in the treatment of morphine and heroin addiction.
- ‘He said she was prescribed such large amounts of the heroin substitute methadone that she could stockpile it.’
- ‘These were followed by methadone, then amphetamines and methamphetamines.’
- ‘The alternative treatment for heroin addiction is the drug methadone which is taken in tablet form.’
- ‘You can be given scripts for methadone and other treatments, but this is just to keep the crime figures down.’
- ‘Some addicts become as reliant on methadone as they were on heroin.’
- ‘Maintenance of addicts on methadone reduces the incidence of fatal and non-fatal heroin overdoses.’
- ‘Where I was brought up, heroin and methadone was the big problem from age sixteen.’
- ‘The doctor was concerned about this, because the friend was also a heroin addict and was using methadone for his own treatment.’
- ‘The Scottish executive has substantially widened access to methadone as a substitute for heroin addicts.’
- ‘Drug workers stress that methadone is just one option for treatment that is appropriate only in certain cases.’
- ‘He thought he could carry on if he was addicted to methadone rather than heroin.’
- ‘She hopes the course in methadone, a heroin substitute, will help her get her life back together.’
- ‘Most people know of methadone only as the drug used to withdraw heroin addicts.’
- ‘This prisoner has been placed on methadone, the morphine substitute drug.’
- ‘I am pumped full of drugs: methadone, morphine, opium, marijuana, the whole lot.’
- ‘But whereas heroin can be replaced with methadone, no drug has been found to substitute for cocaine.’
- ‘The project, the first of its kind in the York area, aims to help addicts of heroin and other opiate drugs such as methadone.’
- ‘Only this week I have had ketamine and methadone, both controlled drugs that merit an article themselves.’
- ‘One of the key components of programmes designed to get users off drugs is the heroin substitute, methadone.’
- ‘Among the treatments offered are prescriptions for the heroin substitute methadone and structured courses of day care.’
1940s: from its chemical name, (6-di)meth(yl)a(mino-4,4-)d(iphenyl-3-heptan)one.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.