One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characteristic of or relating to metaphor; figurative.‘many of our metaphorical expressions develop from our perceptions of the body’
figurative, allegorical, analogous, symbolic, emblematicView synonyms
- ‘All the proposed reasons given have been either metaphorical or analogous.’
- ‘Salt's ability to preserve and sustain life has made it a metaphorical symbol in every religion.’
- ‘The metaphorical mist that has been fugging up my brain has disappeared, only to be replaced by real mist fugging up my windscreen.’
- ‘These anthropomorphic characterizations are not to be taken simply as figurative or metaphorical.’
- ‘But is a call to metaphorical arms against an imaginary adversary counter-productive?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.