An element (e.g., germanium or silicon) whose properties are intermediate between those of metals and solid nonmetals. They are electrical semiconductors.
- ‘Chemically, elements can be classified as metals, metalloids, or non-metals based, in part, upon these physical properties.’
- ‘Separating them are metalloids or semimetals.’
- ‘As its two allotropic forms might suggest, silicon is a metalloid.’
- ‘Inasmuch as chemical properties determine toxicological properties, metalloids should not be considered as a subset of metals but as a subset of nonmetals.’
- ‘Another group of elements - the metalloid or semi-metal elements - share some properties with the metals and some with the nonmetals.’