Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The branch of linguistics that deals with metalanguages, self-reference in language, and the philosophy of science as it applies to linguistics.
- ‘We examine the role that Bakhtin's ‘metalinguistics’ plays for translators.’
- ‘In the opinion of the author, metalinguistics is a systematic reflection on linguistic theories and linguistic texts (regarded as manifestations of a particular linguistic theory or concept).’
- ‘Morphological awareness, as part of metalinguistics, involves reflection on language and its use and skills of monitoring and planning.’
- ‘There is no introductory editorial discussing the title or theme of the volume or its intended audience, but the essays mostly deal with language and metalinguistics in some way.’
- ‘Results indicate a positive attitude to but poor knowledge of metalinguistics in the process of learning to read.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.