Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The branch of linguistics that deals with metalanguages, self-reference in language, and the philosophy of science as it applies to linguistics.
- ‘Morphological awareness, as part of metalinguistics, involves reflection on language and its use and skills of monitoring and planning.’
- ‘There is no introductory editorial discussing the title or theme of the volume or its intended audience, but the essays mostly deal with language and metalinguistics in some way.’
- ‘In the opinion of the author, metalinguistics is a systematic reflection on linguistic theories and linguistic texts (regarded as manifestations of a particular linguistic theory or concept).’
- ‘Results indicate a positive attitude to but poor knowledge of metalinguistics in the process of learning to read.’
- ‘We examine the role that Bakhtin's ‘metalinguistics’ plays for translators.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.