The alternation of generations between sexual and asexual reproduction.
- ‘It is the life cycle consisting of an asexual and a sexual generation (metagenesis) of the cycliophorans that makes the phylum unique.’
- ‘Ctenophora or comb-jellyfish are completely different creatures which do not have metagenesis and do not bear cnidae.’
- ‘However, unlike cnidarians, ctenophores possess rows of cilia and a unique, complex sensory organ and lack cnidae and metagenesis.’
- ‘Checkpoints in the life-cycle of Cassiopea spp.: control of metagenesis and metamorphosis in a tropical jellyfish.’
- ‘Any level of kosmos, then, has a deep structure consisting of at least two countercurrent structural flows: genesis and metagenesis.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.