One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A set of data that describes and gives information about other data.
- ‘He maintains that any scheme that requires humans to input metadata with their data will fail.’
- ‘That metadata includes the path name, and the attributes used to view storage and use storage.’
- ‘Remember, metadata is a description of the data that accompanies the data in XML.’
- ‘Users need this information to contact the publisher of the displayed metadata.’
- ‘Although metadata is integral to the Semantic Web, metadata on its own is far from sufficient.’
- ‘When a file system's data or metadata becomes scrambled, data corruption ensues.’
- ‘This would allow virtually any kind of additional file metadata to be stored with a file.’
- ‘By giving immediate use to metadata, people add metadata.’
- ‘Smith also points out that the ratio of actual data with respect to metadata will continue to shrink.’
- ‘Commercial search engines practice automatic metadata generation in two situations.’
- ‘For descriptive metadata it may even be an entry in a catalog if the catalog record can be adequately referenced.’
- ‘In effect, this is all part of the Semantic Web, which aims to give order to the internet by using metadata to describe a document's contents.’
- ‘Cheap metadata is metadata made by someone else, or rather by many someone elses.’
- ‘In the context of biological informatics, metadata is an interoperability issue.’
- ‘The company has quietly released a tool to scrub leaky metadata from documents edited with its software.’
- ‘It is the collection of metadata that allows computer software to reliably deal with the data.’
- ‘Link the Microprocessor metadata to supporting documentation useful for operation.’
- ‘Files that never change are backed up only once as are identical files, thanks to metadata - data about data.’
- ‘The researchers resolved disagreements by consensus and entered the outcomes and their metadata into a database.’
- ‘First, it does not store any metadata changes, such as the permissions of a file or the renaming of a file.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.