One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The chemical processes that occur within a living organism in order to maintain life.
- ‘Soluble carbohydrates have a key regulatory role in carbohydrate metabolism.’
- ‘In addition to carbohydrate metabolism, other processes were affected by stress.’
- ‘Cysteine represents the site at which sulphur enters amino acid metabolism.’
- ‘Dietary fructose effects on lipoprotein metabolism and risk for coronary artery disease.’
- ‘There are three enzyme systems directly involved in sucrose metabolism.’
- ‘Nitrogen uptake and metabolism are central for vegetative and reproductive plant growth.’
- ‘Altered carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism leads to a catabolic state.’
- ‘These fragments are possibly the consequence of metabolism in plasma or kidney.’
- ‘There appears to be a common logic that can be discerned behind the list of these pleiotropic changes in cell metabolism.’
- ‘One of the effects of flavonoids is the ability to modulate xenobiotic metabolism.’
- ‘Seed germination is a developmental process of reactivation of metabolism to originate a new plant.’
- ‘There are many examples in which hexose metabolism is required for sensing.’
- ‘This whole process of metabolism is analogous to filling a tank with fluid until it overflows.’
- ‘It is also known that peroxisomal metabolism is lower in fish than in mammals.’
- ‘Its function for anaerobic glycerol metabolism is unknown and in fact has not been studied so far.’
- ‘Lysine metabolism in plants is regulated both by the rate of its synthesis and catabolism.’
- ‘The research programme aims to examine the nucleotide metabolism of germinating plant seeds.’
- ‘These hormones are related to metabolism, and thus to nutritional and metabolic status.’
- ‘Phenotypic variation can be brought about by altering hormone metabolism.’
- ‘Legume seed development is closely related to metabolism and nutrient transport.’
Late 19th century: from Greek metabolē ‘change’ (from metaballein ‘to change’) + -ism.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.