Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A function key on a keyboard that is activated by simultaneously holding down a control key.
- ‘The keyboard commands are formed by holding down the control and/or meta keys while typing a keystroke that identified the command.’
- ‘If the above meta keys do not work for some reason you can use the escape key instead by typing it as a separate keystroke.’
- ‘These two keys are called the control and meta keys.’
- ‘It goes against the grain to leave anyone out simply because they can't read text on a video display or press both the meta key and F1 simultaneously.’
- ‘Become familiar with each of the tools’ behaviour, and it's modified behaviour in conjunction with the meta keys.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.