Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small box that appears on a computer screen to inform the user of something, such as the occurrence of an error.
- ‘The purpose of this method is to pop up a message box from the testing application that tells me that something went wrong, such as an invalid cast or a plug-in that was missing the implementation class altogether.’
- ‘Trey clocked onto it to open a message box after appearing offline on his contact list and started a conversation.’
- ‘It also drops a VBS file displaying a message box which includes offensive text about anti-virus researcher Graham Cluley.’
- ‘The man clicked on the envelope, then reached for the keyboard when a message box appeared at the center of the screen.’
- ‘In July the worm is programmed to display a message box describing itself as the ‘Lorraine Worm’.’
- ‘His message box was empty, so was his alert screen.’
- ‘Expect to get null pointer errors, every so often; an annoying message box appears, informing you of some mysterious internal null pointer error.’
- ‘He exited his room and looked at his message box.’
- ‘A message box popped up, informing me that name was taken.’
- ‘You will face endless message boxes stating ‘How are you.’’
- ‘Then the little red light flashed on the message box.’
- ‘However, if the attached file is opened, a fake message box can appear berating the Windows operating system in a lengthy tirade.’
- ‘A message box on her screen blinked to life, and Cassida smiled.’
- ‘Once the application has the result, it prints out a message to a message box to show if the login was successful.’
- ‘If an update is available then it will display a message box to that effect and you then have the choice of whether to download or not.’
- ‘The computer buzzed for a few seconds and then flashed a message box on the screen.’
- ‘Sloane's data appeared on the screen alongside a message box saying that no one called Nathalie had been born in the given years.’
- ‘In addition, it would contain several custom message boxes that the user would have to OK to during installation and use.’
- ‘You can post custom message boxes at the start and end of the SFX process and clean up all the extracted files at the end of the SFX process.’
- ‘Before Kassie could type in a reply, the message box read, ‘Mighty Mike may not reply because he or she appears to be offline.’’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.