Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A set of cooking and eating utensils, as used especially by soldiers, scouts, or campers.
- ‘At noon lunch was ‘corned willy and hard tacks’ from the mess kits that the men carried.’
- ‘Based on a Marine Corps system the M - 1945 combat field pack (carrying underwear toilet articles mess kit, poncho) joined to the M - 1945 field cargo pack (extra clothing) and belt with canteen and first-aid packet pouch.’
- ‘Back when I was in the Boy Scouts - for over a decade, believe it or not - we used to go camping, and we'd eat out of mess kits.’
- ‘Digging her mess kit out of her saddlebags, she set about retrieving some dinner from the pans littering the pit stones along the edge of the fire's reach.’
- ‘For reasons unknown, we had to wear our Class A dress uniforms in the chow line, mess kits in hand.’
- ‘On the back of the vest, nestled between two water bottle pockets, is a large pouch that would be perfect for a mess kit or other largish survival item.’
- ‘Of course, I have staples like sugar, pepper, and the like as well as a hand-crank can opener and a mess kit for eating from (purchased at the camping store).’
- ‘She grabbed Neal's mess kit out of his bag, took his collapsible cup out and poured a drink.’
- ‘Every thing about that evening - the tent, mess kits from which we ate and the uncomfortable seating - was symbolic of a company in crisis.’
- ‘I packed a small one-burner backpacking stove, a bag of rice, two cans of kidney beans, and a mess kit for four people in my backpack.’
- ‘Two bowls, a tiny side plate, a pair of chopsticks and a cloth square were all wrapped in another square like an Oriental version of the mess kit she used in Girl Guides.’
mess kit/ˈmes ˌkit/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.