1The epithelium that lines the pleurae, peritoneum, and pericardium.
- ‘If present, they represent entrapped benign mesothelium or epithelium.’
- ‘Studies were also conducted to assess the expression of the heavy and light subunits of gamma-GCS in human pleural mesothelium and bronchial epithelium in vivo and the induction of inducible NOS by asbestos fibers.’
- ‘These features are reminiscent of the typical mesothelial cells seen in hyperplastic mesothelium regardless of location and that of the epithelioid-type mesothelial cells frequently observed in malignant mesothelioma.’
- ‘However, a mesothelial origin of this tumor has been questioned, since these tumors are seen in sites where mesothelium is not found.’
- ‘The outermost covering of the stomach is termed serosa, because it is composed of a loose fatty connective tissue containing blood vessels and nerves covered by a mesothelium, the visceral peritoneum, or mesentery.’
- ‘Albumin is considered a good marker of capillary permeability in the pleura, because there is no evidence that albumin is produced or stored in pleural mesothelium.’
- ‘Macroscopically, they have a thin fibrous wall and contain serous fluid. The gross pathology is confirmed at the microscopic level, where one sees a thin fibrous wall lined by a monolayer of mesothelium.’
- ‘This tumor also lacks the ultrastructural features consistent with mesothelium.’
- ‘Mesothelioma (cancer of the mesothelium) is a disease in which cells of the mesothelium become abnormal and divide without control or order.’
- ‘If the cancer has spread beyond the mesothelium to other parts of the body, symptoms may include pain, trouble swallowing, or swelling of the neck or face.’
- ‘In hetero- and hoplonemerteans investigated there is an ECM layer situated between the vessel lining mesothelium and underlying muscle, which may be part of the general body-wall musculature or an intrinsic musculature.’
- ‘By this concept, the mesothelium was originally organized as a simple or stratified myoepithelium with epitheliomuscular cells.’
- ‘Mesothelioma is a rare form of carcinoma that occurs in the mesothelium lining lungs, abdomens and hearts.’
- ‘By in situ hybridization, MnSOD mRNA can be detected in arterioles, septal tips of alveolar ducts, endothelial cells, and in pleural mesothelium of hyperoxia-exposed rats.’
- ‘It does help to distinguish mesotheliomas from reactive, proliferating mesothelium, which typically has no cytogenetic abnormalities.’
- 1.1Embryology The surface layer of the embryonic mesoderm, from which this is derived.
Late 19th century: from meso- ‘middle’ + a shortened form of epithelium.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.