Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The epithelium that lines the pleurae, peritoneum, and pericardium.
- ‘However, a mesothelial origin of this tumor has been questioned, since these tumors are seen in sites where mesothelium is not found.’
- ‘Albumin is considered a good marker of capillary permeability in the pleura, because there is no evidence that albumin is produced or stored in pleural mesothelium.’
- ‘The outermost covering of the stomach is termed serosa, because it is composed of a loose fatty connective tissue containing blood vessels and nerves covered by a mesothelium, the visceral peritoneum, or mesentery.’
- ‘By in situ hybridization, MnSOD mRNA can be detected in arterioles, septal tips of alveolar ducts, endothelial cells, and in pleural mesothelium of hyperoxia-exposed rats.’
- ‘Macroscopically, they have a thin fibrous wall and contain serous fluid. The gross pathology is confirmed at the microscopic level, where one sees a thin fibrous wall lined by a monolayer of mesothelium.’
- ‘In hetero- and hoplonemerteans investigated there is an ECM layer situated between the vessel lining mesothelium and underlying muscle, which may be part of the general body-wall musculature or an intrinsic musculature.’
- ‘These features are reminiscent of the typical mesothelial cells seen in hyperplastic mesothelium regardless of location and that of the epithelioid-type mesothelial cells frequently observed in malignant mesothelioma.’
- ‘If present, they represent entrapped benign mesothelium or epithelium.’
- ‘Mesothelioma (cancer of the mesothelium) is a disease in which cells of the mesothelium become abnormal and divide without control or order.’
- ‘If the cancer has spread beyond the mesothelium to other parts of the body, symptoms may include pain, trouble swallowing, or swelling of the neck or face.’
- ‘It does help to distinguish mesotheliomas from reactive, proliferating mesothelium, which typically has no cytogenetic abnormalities.’
- ‘Mesothelioma is a rare form of carcinoma that occurs in the mesothelium lining lungs, abdomens and hearts.’
- ‘By this concept, the mesothelium was originally organized as a simple or stratified myoepithelium with epitheliomuscular cells.’
- ‘Studies were also conducted to assess the expression of the heavy and light subunits of gamma-GCS in human pleural mesothelium and bronchial epithelium in vivo and the induction of inducible NOS by asbestos fibers.’
- ‘This tumor also lacks the ultrastructural features consistent with mesothelium.’
- 1.1Embryology The surface layer of the embryonic mesoderm, from which this is derived.
Late 19th century: from meso- middle + a shortened form of epithelium.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.