A plant needing only a moderate amount of water.
- ‘Interestingly, unlike mesophytes, none of the hydrophytes showed ability to accumulate proline.’
- ‘According to these considerations, the factor of light appears as the first of many different environmental factors for the ecological plant sociology of mesophytes.’
- ‘A higher mesophyll resistance in woody plants than in herbs, and in sclerophylls than in mesophytes, has been reported.’
- ‘Consequently, cuticles of plant species adapted to dry conditions have, by one to two orders of magnitude, lower permeances for water than cuticles of mesophytes from more humid climates.’
- ‘The values measured lie within the mainstream range for bryophytes of similar habitats and of vascular mesophytes.’