Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The inner tissue (parenchyma) of a leaf, containing many chloroplasts.
- ‘A single cell culture, based on protoplasts that were isolated from the leaf mesophyll of tobacco, was used.’
- ‘Cytoplasm of the leaf mesophyll of a D. antarctica plant growing in a wet, fertile habitat on the seashore.’
- ‘All three transgenic lines presented a significant decrease in the mean size of both epidermal internode and leaf mesophyll cells.’
- ‘The mesophyll with large vascular bundles resembles an I-beam construction connecting the adaxial and abaxial surfaces.’
- ‘Plastids of mesophyll cells from leaves of control or herbicide-treated plants grown at 20°C.’
- ‘In mesophyll cells, chloroplasts are dismantled in an early phase of senescence, while mitochondria remain functional.’
- ‘Thus, elements of the guard cell's response to stress are present in mesophyll and xylem parenchyma cells.’
- ‘They also accumulate throughout the leaf in mesophyll tissue and in trichomes.’
- ‘It was concluded that stomatal conductance is not directly determined by the photosynthetic capacity of guard cells or the leaf mesophyll.’
- ‘In addition, the magnitude of growth-associated is similar between xylem and mesophyll and between xylem and epidermis.’
- ‘Inactivation of plastids in the leaf mesophyll, which normally contains the majority of chloroplasts would be the most easily identified.’
- ‘Leaves are composed of various kinds of tissues, including epidermis, mesophyll, bundle sheath, and vascular bundles.’
- ‘Stromules tend to be relatively rare in cell types such as mesophyll or guard cells that contain large chloroplasts.’
- ‘Messenger RNA was isolated from guard cells and mesophyll tissue as described previously and used as a template for RT-PCR.’
- ‘They are stored in vacuoles of a specialized leaf tissue, the paraveinal mesophyll.’
- ‘It should be interesting to find out where in the leaf this barrier is built up: gradually along the mesophyll or abruptly between xylem and mesophyll.’
- ‘Light dependence of zeaxanthin formation in hypocotyl and mesophyll chloroplasts of Arabidopsis seedlings’
- ‘By such thickening, mesophyll surface area per leaf area becomes greater in sun leaves than in shade leaves.’
- ‘As solar angle changes, individual mesophyll cells of the leaf may pass from full sunlight to shade within a second.’
- ‘Leaf mesophyll is differentiated into palisade and spongy parenchyma, epidermis is already formed.’
Mid 19th century: from meso- middle + Greek phullon leaf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.