Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The inner tissue (parenchyma) of a leaf, containing many chloroplasts.
- ‘Leaves are composed of various kinds of tissues, including epidermis, mesophyll, bundle sheath, and vascular bundles.’
- ‘Messenger RNA was isolated from guard cells and mesophyll tissue as described previously and used as a template for RT-PCR.’
- ‘Plastids of mesophyll cells from leaves of control or herbicide-treated plants grown at 20°C.’
- ‘Leaf mesophyll is differentiated into palisade and spongy parenchyma, epidermis is already formed.’
- ‘They also accumulate throughout the leaf in mesophyll tissue and in trichomes.’
- ‘Stromules tend to be relatively rare in cell types such as mesophyll or guard cells that contain large chloroplasts.’
- ‘Cytoplasm of the leaf mesophyll of a D. antarctica plant growing in a wet, fertile habitat on the seashore.’
- ‘The mesophyll with large vascular bundles resembles an I-beam construction connecting the adaxial and abaxial surfaces.’
- ‘Inactivation of plastids in the leaf mesophyll, which normally contains the majority of chloroplasts would be the most easily identified.’
- ‘They are stored in vacuoles of a specialized leaf tissue, the paraveinal mesophyll.’
- ‘In addition, the magnitude of growth-associated is similar between xylem and mesophyll and between xylem and epidermis.’
- ‘Light dependence of zeaxanthin formation in hypocotyl and mesophyll chloroplasts of Arabidopsis seedlings’
- ‘All three transgenic lines presented a significant decrease in the mean size of both epidermal internode and leaf mesophyll cells.’
- ‘As solar angle changes, individual mesophyll cells of the leaf may pass from full sunlight to shade within a second.’
- ‘A single cell culture, based on protoplasts that were isolated from the leaf mesophyll of tobacco, was used.’
- ‘It should be interesting to find out where in the leaf this barrier is built up: gradually along the mesophyll or abruptly between xylem and mesophyll.’
- ‘It was concluded that stomatal conductance is not directly determined by the photosynthetic capacity of guard cells or the leaf mesophyll.’
- ‘In mesophyll cells, chloroplasts are dismantled in an early phase of senescence, while mitochondria remain functional.’
- ‘Thus, elements of the guard cell's response to stress are present in mesophyll and xylem parenchyma cells.’
- ‘By such thickening, mesophyll surface area per leaf area becomes greater in sun leaves than in shade leaves.’
Mid 19th century: from meso- middle + Greek phullon leaf.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.