One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of fish and other organisms) inhabiting the intermediate depths of the sea, approximately 650–3,300 feet (200–1,000 m) below the surface.
- ‘Most mesopelagic species are either red or black and most deep-sea benthic species range from pale yellow to red.’
- ‘The assemblage is characterized by the co-occurrence of epipelagic, mesopelagic and benthopelagic taxa together with neritic taxa.’
- ‘Extensive survey data show that the max values of visual pigments of mesopelagic marine fishes are more blue-shifted than those of shallow-water species.’
- ‘Indeed, many of the mesopelagic species range far eastward with the Gulf Stream, outside our area and into the eastern Atlantic.’
- ‘These species undergo large changes in depth, many traveling from mesopelagic depths to the surface in the evening and then descending before dawn.’
- ‘This suggests that directed bioluminescence and the transmission of bioluminescence through gut walls are more important than ambient light for detecting animals at mesopelagic depths.’
- ‘Similar events occur in the eyes of mesopelagic shrimps, such as the oplophorids.’
- ‘Indeed, a large number of mesopelagic animals have eyes that permanently view the upward direction for just this reason.’
- ‘Rhadinesthes decimus is known primarily as a mesopelagic ocean fish living at depths around 500 m.’
- ‘Because the spectra at mesopelagic depths are quite narrow, light at wavelengths longer or shorter than the wavelength of peak transmission contributes very little to visibility.’
- ‘For example, pilot whales had smaller group sizes when they fed more on mesopelagic fish and less on mesopelagic cephalopods, and common dolphins had larger groups if they fed on varying types of fish.’
- ‘Unfortunately measurements of absorption and scattering coefficients at mesopelagic depths in oceanic waters do not exist.’
- ‘Tooth morphology in this selection of mesopelagic fishes is quite diverse suggesting that their feeding strategies might be diverse as well.’
- ‘As our understanding of large marine predators increases, the critical role of concentrations of mesopelagic cephalopods in the lives of such species as elephant seals, billfishes and tuna is becoming clear.’
- ‘Our results indicate that mesopelagic fish pose a stronger predatory threat than invertebrates to overwintering Calanus.’
- ‘Additional comments are made below regarding the distribution of epipelagic, mesopelagic, and benthopelagic elasmobranchs and teleosts in the upwelling assemblages.’
- ‘Neutrally buoyant ammoniacal cephalopods in the mesopelagic are a limiting case in need of study.’
- ‘Most current knowledge applies to coastal species with benthic adult stages, and it would be exciting (though challenging) to see this work extended to larvae of mesopelagic or deep-sea species.’
- ‘Indeed, the presence of bioluminescence explains several otherwise paradoxical characteristics of mesopelagic body coloration.’
- ‘The temporal resolutions of the dark-adapted photoreceptors of several species of mesopelagic crustaceans have been described in earlier studies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.