Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person with a compact and muscular body build.
- ‘If you are now starting a fitness programme, it is a good idea for you to know what is your body type - mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph, or a cross between two types.’
- ‘A Mesomorph has the ability to gain muscle quickly and can lose fat weight when a diet is followed.’
- ‘A mesomorph drops in on Auckland's Armageddon show.’
- ‘Improving muscular imbalances is especially important for mesomorph swimmers so they may strengthen weaknesses in swim-specific muscles.’
- ‘I was once a guest at a spa where we could avail ourselves of a ‘wellness expert’ who could customise a person's meals based on whether she was, say, a thyroidal mesomorph or an adrenal ectomorph.’
- ‘A mesomorph is athletic, hourglass-shaped or rectangular-shaped, muscular with excellent posture, gains muscle easily and gains body fat easier than an ectomorph.’
- ‘They are purposely hidden away at backwater college campuses, where the monstrously large football mesomorphs must cavort under the searing sun, be-helmeted, in all their hot and bulky pads.’
- ‘If your thumb and fore-finger overlap, you are an ectomorph; if they touch, you are a mesomorph; and if they do not touch at all, you are an endomorph.’
- ‘In fact, if you hardgainers can take any solace in your struggle to bulk up your entire physique, at least your calves aren't a conspicuous weak point like they are for mesomorphs strutting around on ‘peg legs.’’
- ‘A natural mesomorph, Huh weighed 200 pounds before he even picked up a barbell in earnest and his body responded well to weights.’
- ‘There are many more ectomorphs (naturally thin people) and endomorphs (naturally chubby people) than mesomorphs (naturally muscular people), and it's difficult to overcome genetic limitations.’
- ‘An endomorph has a soft body, underdeveloped muscles, round physique and hold most of their weight in their middle; weight loss is difficult but the endomorph can build muscle easily like the mesomorph.’
- ‘If a person is a mesomorph you have to rest them more, and if it's a female mesomorph you have to rest more.’
- ‘At the core of the mesomorphs training program should be resistance training.’
- ‘As a hardgainer, you weren't blessed with the genetics of Lee Priest, Tom Prince or any other mesomorph with seemingly self-inflating Popeye appendages.’
- ‘Similarly, the current weight control standards seem to be deliberately designed to keep fat-necked, big-bellied blubber balls in the Army while pushing muscular and fit mesomorphs out the door.’
- ‘People are ectomorph, mesomorph, or endomorph.’
- ‘Somatotyping There are three widely accepted physique categories called somatotypes: endomorph, ectomorph and mesomorph.’
- ‘The three basic body types are ectomorph, mesomorph and endormorph.’
- ‘‘I'm a mesomorph,’ admits the 150-pound Isaacson.’
1920s: meso- from mesodermal (being the layer of the embryo giving rise to physical characteristics which predominate) + -morph.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.