Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The middle layer of an embryo in early development, between the endoderm and ectoderm.
- ‘The stem cells for hematopoiesis in mammals are derived from mesoderm in the yolk sac blood islands and a region of the aorta.’
- ‘Cells from the ventrolateral dermomyotome migrate away from the midline forming a population of axially derived cells that differentiate within the lateral mesoderm.’
- ‘We have used experimental manipulation of chick embryos to test the causal role of Hox genes in patterning derivatives of the paraxial mesoderm.’
- ‘By the time segmentation is complete, strong mxp expression is detected in both ectoderm and mesoderm of the maxillary and labial limb buds.’
- ‘Derived from embryonic mesoderm, mesenchyme is the first connective tissue formed.’
- ‘Expression is also detected variously in visceral endoderm, and anterior mesoderm and endoderm of the gut and pharynx in some vertebrates and amphioxus.’
- ‘The cells of the visceral mesoderm and dorsal vessel also express both genes.’
- ‘Teratomas are germ cell tumors composed of various tissue elements representing more than one embryonic layer (ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm).’
- ‘Teratoma typically contains tissues derived from all 3 germinal layers, whereas dermoid cyst presumably originates from ectoderm and mesoderm.’
- ‘Structures derived from ectoderm, mesoderm, and endoderm are commonly represented.’
- ‘Acrochordons, or skin tags, are derived from ectoderm and mesoderm and represent a hyperplastic epidermis.’
- ‘Because neoblasts are likely derived from embryonic stem cells, a stem cell system may be even the original mode of mesoderm formation in the embryo.’
- ‘The stem cell lines also retain the ability, throughout the culture, to differentiate into tissue-derived endoderm, mesoderm and ectoderm.’
- ‘Endoderm and mesoderm form from the lower layer of cells.’
- ‘Clearly the establishment of independent Hox codes in the paraxial and lateral plate mesoderm would have significance for both the development and the evolution of vertebrates.’
- ‘Why is the origin of mesoderm from hypoblast in some groups not regarded as a secondary adaptation?’
- ‘The mesoderm also provides the mesenchyme (by sinking of cells from its epithelium into the extracellular matrix) from which organ development becomes possible.’
- ‘The most affected tissue being dorsal mesoderm; the notochord is disrupted and the tailbud fails to form.’
- ‘A similar pair of parachordal cartilages develop posteriorly from mesoderm, flanking the notochord.’
- ‘Crystal cells constitute a class of hemocytes derived from the head mesoderm.’
Late 19th century: from meso- ‘middle’ + Greek derma ‘skin’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.