One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cyclonic air mass associated with a supercell; its presence is a condition for a tornado warning.
- ‘Some of the rotational velocities may have been underestimated because of the small width of the vortex, supported by large spectrum widths associated with mesocyclones some distance from the radar.’
- ‘This helicity value was classified as a strong mesocyclone environment according to Davies-Jones.’
- ‘Various different temperatures and wind interactions at different altitudes can cause a rotating updraft called a mesocyclone.’
- ‘One of the major differences of super cells compared to that of single-cell and multi-cells storms is that, the super cell contains a viscous rotating updraft, this rotational updraft is known as a mesocyclone.’
- ‘Figure 2 shows the trend of average lowest altitude diameter of the mesocyclone from T - 5 to T + 1.’
- ‘The frequency shift is then converted to wind velocity, yielding a small region of rapidly changing wind direction, a characteristic rotational wind shear signature of the mesocyclone indicating a tornadic circulation.’
- ‘A survey of mesocyclones near the Antarctic Peninsula using digital satellite imagery collected at Palmer Station’
- ‘Mesolow should not be confused with mesocyclone, which is a storm-scale phenomenon.’
- ‘The best view of a mesocyclone is normally from a location east of the updraft, looking west.’
- ‘These kinds of mesocyclones are also rare, only occurring with landfalling tropical systems.’
- ‘This is true even though some recent observations found that the mesocyclone gust front structures are not strictly low-level phenomena, but instead, extend through a considerable depth of the storm.’
- ‘Huaqing applied this technique to radar data of five mesocyclones, three of which spawned tornadoes.’
- ‘Should the proportion of tornadic mesocyclones go down to 20% or so, as it now appears it might, this problem is correspondingly exacerbated.’
- ‘It is worth to mention that the axisymmetric circulation characteristics of the mesocyclone at its mature stage resemble a feature very similar to that observed in a mature typhoon.’
- ‘To do so, it will first be necessary to examine to what extent mesocyclones appear in high’
- ‘If the thunderstorm is moving rapidly toward or away from you, the mesocyclone may be harder to detect.’
- ‘Thunderstorms containing mesocyclones are known as supercells, and sometimes produce destructive tornadoes.’
- ‘Two rotating wall clouds revealed twin low-level mesocyclones on the SW side of a classic, cyclic supercell.’
1960s: from meso- + cyclone.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.