One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The profits of an estate received by a tenant in wrongful possession and recoverable by the landlord.
- ‘Please note that Housing Benefit is available in respect of mesne profits.’
- ‘During that time, the subtenant on the land will be in the position of a trespasser, and as such can be required to pay mesne profits to the landlord.’
- ‘The nearest analogy is a claim for mesne profits.’
- ‘In each case the owner (the Ministry of Defence) sought mesne profits on the basis of the open market rental value of the premises.’
- ‘An action for mesne profits, unlike ejectment, allows the claimant to claim damages for his loss during the period that he has been dispossessed.’
- ‘Here, the plaintiff's claim to mesne profits is dependent upon it showing that as between it and the defendant, it was entitled to possession of the property.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.