One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Mad or idiotic ideas or behavior.‘there's method in this man's meshugaas’
insanity, insaneness, dementia, mental illness, derangement, dementedness, instability, unsoundness of mind, lunacy, distraction, depression, mania, hysteria, frenzy, psychosis, psychopathy, schizophrenia, hydrophobiaView synonyms
- ‘The one in Iraq may still read like a success story to a handful of Likudo-fascists, but looks like a stinking meshugaas to the rest of the planet.’
- ‘My only excuse is that amidst all the meshugaas going on on Wednesday, particularly the fact I was so hung over, I simply made a mistake.’
- ‘And while it has thus far been unable to realize a minor profit, at least it has each week conjured the meshugaas of Damian and of Kalvos.’
- ‘They learned that they did not need to be entertained by man-made meshugaas.’
- ‘Having skipped the election meshugaas, except as a spectator, I thought I was in for a calm year of commentary.’
- ‘But what about the reporter whose research started the whole impeachment meshugaas of 1998 when the gossip maven broke details of the investigation in his online column?’
Early 20th century: Yiddish, noun from meshuga.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.