One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bank account that enables the holder to accept credit cards for payment.
- ‘These IDs can be obtained from a merchant bank by applying for a merchant account enabled to receive payments by credit card.’
- ‘But the alternative - opening a merchant account to process credit-card orders on the Web - was too expensive and risky for the first-time entrepreneur.’
- ‘I am in the process of moving my company to a better merchant account - so I'm glad they are getting hit.’
- ‘‘In all cases, they refused to access our merchant account and do any traces on their end,’ says Johnson.’
- ‘To do this, you must set up merchant accounts (for example, credit card companies which will enable you to receive payments from your clients by credit card).’
- ‘Some merchant account providers include a payment gateway with their merchant accounts, which simplifies setting up an online store.’
- ‘In order to make the best decisions during this phase of the ecommerce website design, check the fees associated with the merchant account or acquirer.’
- ‘With a Web site and a merchant account, a small company like mine can do business in 100 + countries; we've sold reports throughout Europe and Asia without opening offices there.’
- ‘While big online sites have no problem with credit-card use, many small and even midsize merchants don't have merchant accounts with credit-card companies because they are so expensive to maintain.’
- ‘If you are taking credit card details over a website, you will need a merchant account with a reputable bank to process the payments.’
- ‘PayPal (or whomever your merchant account is with) takes your money and deposits it into your account.’
- ‘They opened up a merchant account with $10,000 each, in personal donations.’
- ‘They have introduced a product to allow businesses to accept credit card transactions on their Web sites using their existing merchant accounts.’
- ‘Often the money is deducted from the merchant account the retailer uses for its credit cards proceeds.’
- ‘What does a site or a developer typically need to set up a merchant account to process credit cards or checks over the Internet?’
- ‘A little over a year ago they decided to stop offering merchant accounts to dating sites.’
- ‘The credit cards and merchant accounts that handle the sales guarantee the purchasers privacy and security.’
- ‘He'll report criminal activity to credit-card companies and press them to cut off spammers' merchant accounts.’
- ‘The thing here is that you can sell over the Internet without a credit card merchant account, which for campaign consultants and political committees can be difficult or expensive to obtain.’
- ‘The defendants used five separate merchant accounts and four fake business names to evade detection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.