Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘as autumn merch creeps into stores, summer sales offer up lunatic bargains’short for merchandise‘any merch involving Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones, Led Zeppelin, or punk-rock legends moves quickly’[as modifier] ‘people mobbed the merch stand to buy T-shirts’
- ‘My wife and I came out of a store in Buffalo with $400 worth of merch—and we'd just stopped in to look at the place!’
- ‘We've got a couple of songs on there to download, as well as some merch.’
- ‘For a marginalized band, these guys were moving merch by the truckload.’
- ‘Both her ready-to-wear merch and her custom orders are now on sale.’
- ‘Taking a few minutes to recover, the group made their way to the merch area to meet with all the kids one last time.’
- ‘Expect to find discounted merch from faves like Greenbaum Clothing, Joaned, and street-sweet newbie Steen Designs.’
- ‘Bands earn more money from merch, live shows and sponsorships than from record royalties.’
- ‘He'll also be bringing a few copies of his book to sell at the merch table.’
- ‘The bulk of the market's merch is in better condition than your average sidewalk-sale loot.’
- ‘Energy drinks and other licensed merch are also on the table.’
- ‘In other words, they don't think the company can pay for the merch.’
- ‘You'd think people had to make a purchase at the merch booth before being allowed to enter the venue.’
- ‘Industry observers predicted that Batman Forever merch would be the summer's runaway hit.’
- ‘We formally invited her to travel with us as our merch person.’
- ‘The band then strolled off the stage, leaving the crowd begging for more as they rushed to buy band merch.’
- ‘Come up to us and say hello, you will find one of us by the merch stall.’
- ‘The proprietor prefers to be on the floor; hustling merch, schmoozing with the clientele and practising the salesmanship he learned 45 years ago.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.