One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A crystalline compound with a cooling minty taste and odor, found in peppermint and other natural oils. It is used as a flavoring and in decongestants and analgesics.
- ‘Alternatively, low percentages of chemicals such as phenol, menthol, and camphor can be added to moisturizing lotions for added anti-itch benefit.’
- ‘If you lip balm contains phenol, camphor, menthol, peppermint oil or eucalyptus, it's most likely making your lips more chapped than not.’
- ‘Some ingredients added to the water, e.g. menthol, eucalyptus, camphor, thymol and pine oil also give a sensation of clearing the passageways.’
- ‘The combination of thymol, eucalyptol, methyl salicylate and menthol in an alcohol base may have antifungal activity.’
- ‘In both groups the incidence of side effects was the same, leading to the conclusion that it was the gel composition that caused skin abrasion, not the ethanol or menthol ointments that were responsible for the cold effects.’
- ‘A novel cold-producing cream, with ethanol and menthol as the active cold-forming agents, has been developed for cold application to an injured area.’
- ‘These preparations may reduce coughing and usually contain menthol, camphor and eucalyptus oil.’
- ‘After about one hour, he got bored with the task at hand, lit a menthol cigarette, and headed out to the balcony to watch the rain and all the rush hour traffic, as it fought its way through the bad weather and around the giant tree in the road.’
- ‘Outside the United States, products sold as toothpaste sometimes include ground tobacco mixed with menthol, oil of cloves, peppermint and other flavorings.’
- ‘A. Vicks VapoRub contains quite a few herbal derivatives, including menthol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, cedarleaf oil, nutmeg oil, thymol and turpentine oil.’
- ‘Studies have also shown that topical application of menthol, peppermint or other volatile-type oils massaged into the temples appear to relax temporal muscles and may relieve tension headaches.’
- ‘We are pleased to learn that Noxzema, with its camphor, menthol and eucalyptus, worked so well for you.’
- ‘Listerine also contains essential oils from herbs including eucalyptol, thymol, methyl salicylate and menthol.’
- ‘If you prefer an after-shave product, be wary of those that contain alcohol or menthol; these ingredients can irritate the skin.’
- ‘Over-the-counter drugs such as carbamide peroxide, benzocaine, menthol, or eucalyptol can lessen the pain.’
- ‘A cool bath and soothing lotions (e.g. calamine, 1% menthol aqueous cream) may ease the itch’
- ‘They contain ingredients like camphor or menthol that increase blood flow to the area, creating a fuller look.’
- ‘Substances such as menthol, wintergreen oil, eucalyptus oil, or turpentine cause cool or hot sensations that can temporarily relieve or cover up pain.’
- ‘Any products that contain alcohol or menthol should be avoided because they remove natural lipids and may worsen the skin's reaction.’
- ‘We suspect that the aromatic oils, camphor, menthol and eucalyptol, are responsible for the relief.’
Late 19th century: from German, from Latin mentha ‘mint’ + -ol.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.