One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Conduct that makes another person suffer but does not involve physical assault.
- ‘Make a report to the police - almost every form of physical and sexual abuse is illegal and so are many forms of mental cruelty.’
- ‘If you said that stuff to a player nowadays he'd be running away getting his agent and getting you sued for mental cruelty.’
- ‘Why would she endure months of alleged mental cruelty if she understood the agreement was only for existing assets something with which she had no problem?’
- ‘‘You can fight with your family,’ he says, ‘but it's not mental cruelty.’’
- ‘In its ruling the court said the husband's behaviour towards his wife constituted mental cruelty under Indian matrimonial law.’
mental cruelty/ˈˌmen(t)l ˈkro͞o(ə)ltē/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.