One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Arithmetical calculations performed in the mind, without writing figures down or using a calculator.
- ‘Calling himself a mathemagician, he astonishes audiences with amazing feats of mental arithmetic.’
- ‘Daniel Tammet is a man with an exceptional mind: he can perform mental arithmetic faster than a pocket calculator, and learn a new language fluently, even one as tortuously complex as Icelandic, in a matter of days.’
- ‘A market trader I met, who left school unable to spell ‘orange’, could do mental arithmetic with the speed of summer lightning.’
- ‘Lawrence Lee was known in the local area to be very good at mental arithmetic and it was this love of mathematics that he passed on to his daughter.’
- ‘Kawashima's study compared the brain activity in hundreds of teenagers playing computer games and doing mental arithmetic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.