Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Of or involving measuring.‘mensural investigations’
- ‘The method of investigation was substantially as follows: Tables of the minimum, maximum and average of the four mensural characters of a bird were selected for investigation, namely, length of wing, of tail, of tarsus, and of bill.’
- ‘We measured the asymmetry of five mensural and seven meristic characters of 175 collared lizards from north-central Oklahoma.’
- 1.1Music Involving notes of definite duration and usually a regular meter.
- ‘In Mensural Notation, several notes can be combined together to form ligatures.’
- ‘A Josquin mensural canon highlighted the unusual nature of this group's repertoire and rounded off their stimulating recital with fresh imagination.’
- ‘Table 1 shows the time signatures commonly found in Western mensural music since about 1700.’
Late 16th century: from Latin mensuralis, from mensura measure.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.