One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormally heavy bleeding at menstruation.
- ‘Curettage is a temporary solution for menorrhagia and is helpful in reducing the menstrual bleeding for several cycles.’
- ‘Although there is evidence that norethisterone is ineffective in reducing menstrual loss in menorrhagia, the drug is licensed and is effective at delaying the onset of menstruation and regulating chaotic or short menstrual cycles.’
- ‘Specifically, menorrhagia (excessive menstrual loss) is one of the most common reasons for referral to gynaecology clinics.’
- ‘His two-year-old biotech company makes contraceptives and novel treatments for menstrual disorders such as menorrhagia.’
- ‘Because many adolescents have slight hormone imbalances during puberty, menorrhagia isn't uncommon in teens.’
Late 18th century: modern Latin, from meno- ‘of menstruation’ + -rrhag-, stem of Greek rhēgnunai ‘to burst’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.