Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to Mendel's theory of heredity.‘Mendelian genetics’
- ‘If the transgene exhibits Mendelian inheritance then it is being transmitted in the germ line.’
- ‘Darwinian biology explained how humans evolved from other life forms, and Mendelian genetics showed how defective traits were inherited.’
- ‘Many disorders that occur in families are known to have a genetic component but do not follow clear Mendelian patterns of inheritance.’
- ‘Since the 1860s Mendelian genetics has recognized that many phenotypic traits are related to functional units of heredity.’
- ‘An intelligent integration of Mendelian and molecular breeding techniques will help to enhance the nutritive value of staples.’
A person who accepts or advocates Mendel's theory of heredity.
- ‘The story of the emergence of theoretical population genetics, out of a tension between biometricians and Mendelians, has been told eloquently by Provine.’
- ‘The great debate between the Mendelians and the biometricians had begun.’
- ‘As John Maynard Smith points out, the early Mendelians - the people early in this century who rediscovered Mendel - at first thought of themselves as anti-Darwinians.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.