Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The first occurrence of menstruation.
- ‘But the delayed menarche and the delayed puberty may have an effect on their growth and height.’
- ‘The findings have important implications, as the age of menarche - when menstruation begins - has fallen by two years in the past century.’
- ‘Early menarche and late menopause may also increase the risk of breast cancer by affecting lifetime exposure to hormones.’
- ‘Most women with the syndrome experience menarche at a normal age but have irregular menstrual periods that gradually become more abnormal, often leading to amenorrhea.’
- ‘The longer a woman's fertile life (the interval between the menarche and the menopause), the more likely she will develop Parkinson's disease.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek mēn month + arkhē beginning.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.