One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first occurrence of menstruation.
- ‘Most women with the syndrome experience menarche at a normal age but have irregular menstrual periods that gradually become more abnormal, often leading to amenorrhea.’
- ‘The longer a woman's fertile life (the interval between the menarche and the menopause), the more likely she will develop Parkinson's disease.’
- ‘Early menarche and late menopause may also increase the risk of breast cancer by affecting lifetime exposure to hormones.’
- ‘The findings have important implications, as the age of menarche - when menstruation begins - has fallen by two years in the past century.’
- ‘But the delayed menarche and the delayed puberty may have an effect on their growth and height.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek mēn ‘month’ + arkhē ‘beginning’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.