One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Yielding or producing honey.
- ‘The present study was carried out to survey the bees as visitors to melliferous flora in the region of Maringá, state of Paraná, Brazil.’
- ‘A.D.Fursaev studied the melliferous flora of the Volga flood plain.’
- ‘If there are a lot of such days in the summertime bees collect a lot of melliferous dew.’
- ‘Malaysia, with its abundant melliferous plants and indigenous honeybees has a promising future in this industry.’
- ‘They will be put together in an area selected for its melliferous resources and its density in hives to ease the saturation of the area with drones from selected hives.’
- ‘Due to the contamination, the vulnerability and of the potential of the melliferous bees, the number of the substances that can be used for that purpose is little and restricted by the law.’
- ‘The beekeepers became interested in enhancing their production through the cultivation of melliferous plants.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin mellifer (from mel ‘honey’ + -fer ‘bearing’) + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.