Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A hormone secreted by the pineal gland that inhibits melanin formation and is thought to be concerned with regulating the reproductive cycle.
- ‘The pineal gland hormone, melatonin, is one of the endproducts regulated by the circadian system.’
- ‘Cherries are also a great source of melatonin, a hormone that your body uses to regulate its sleep patterns.’
- ‘Research has found the pineal hormone melatonin is low in migraine patients.’
- ‘Delaying sleep on weekends delays the nightly secretion of melatonin, the sleep hormone.’
- ‘Bright light in the morning affects your levels of the hormone melatonin.’
1950s: from Greek melas black + (sero)tonin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.