Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A velvet-black variety of andradite (garnet)
- ‘These days this melanite is mined for its beauty as sparkly black inlay material for jewelry, and its raw beauty as a mineral specimen.’
- ‘The variety melanite was once used in mourning jewelry, but does not have any gem use nowadays.’
- ‘At first glance these would appear to be melanite but the closeup shows a bright red translucence at the crystal edges and fracture planes.’
- ‘A dark brown melanite garnet is restricted in occurrence to nepheline-bearing sövite and ijolite.’
- ‘Would you like us to inform you when we add more natural melanite garnet jewelry items in 14k white and and 14k yellow gold on this page?’
Early 19th century: from Greek melas, melan- black + -ite.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.