Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A dark brown to black pigment occurring in the hair, skin, and iris of the eye in people and animals. It is responsible for tanning of skin exposed to sunlight.
- ‘Melanotan works by boosting melanin, the skin pigment that makes us brown and protects us against skin cancer.’
- ‘One theory focuses on the fact that people with red hair have a different type of melanin (a skin pigment) than people with dark hair.’
- ‘When the skin is exposed to sunshine, it produces a brown pigment called melanin.’
- ‘The body normally converts the amino acid tyrosine into the pigment melanin.’
- ‘The melanosomes convert tyrosine to melanin, giving skin its color.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek melas, melan- black + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.