One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fair or Hindu festival.
- ‘They assemble at the festival and offer their homage by performing in the mela.’
- ‘Every year, they have a mela (a fair) there called Suarastra Sabha for the express purpose of holding an auction.’
- ‘It's the season of festivals, trade fairs, exhibitions and melas of every kind as people turn out in large numbers to beat the heat.’
- ‘Though the mela is an annual event, the one in progress this year is unique for astrological reasons and occurs only once every 34 years.’
- ‘Once a year a huge tribal fair takes place near here - the Baneshwar mela.’
From Sanskrit melā ‘assembly’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.