One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of electrical resistance equal to one million ohms.
- ‘After drying for 24 hours at ambient temperature, its surface resistivity is 0.005 megohm per square, a value which is 1000 times less than the minimum of 5 megohms per square required.’
- ‘This inaccurate value is 6.67% higher than the actual parallel resistance of 25 megohms.’
- ‘With this megohm meter all you need to do is connect both leads to your motor or device and press and hold the button and view the graph.’
- ‘The tester compares the measurement to preset lower and upper (1.25 or 10 megohms) resistance levels.’
- ‘His third prototype culminated his design, which, he wrote, is ‘a simple switching gate circuit which produces an AC current; the cycle rate is achieved by the use of two one megohm resistors and a 0.01 microfarad capacitor.’’
Mid 19th century: from mega- (as a unit of measurement) + ohm.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.