One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A unit of explosive power chiefly used for nuclear weapons, equivalent to one million tons of TNT.‘H-bombs of fifteen megatons each’
- ‘Some news accounts warned that its explosive force upon impact would be 350,000 megatons, eight million times more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb.’
- ‘The blast, called a solar flare, was equal to one million megatons of TNT and gave off powerful bursts of X-rays.’
- ‘The largest weapon of this kind known to have been tested was estimated to be a 58 megaton (58 million tonnes of TNT) device produced by the Soviet Union during the height of the cold war.’
- ‘Nearby in Balaclava (yes, the hat is named after this place - look it up), a submarine base is cut out of the side of a mountain, making it invisible to surveillance and able to withstand a 10 megaton nuclear explosion.’
- ‘Were the asteroid to hit Earth, it would enter the atmosphere at nearly 103,000 km/h and strike with the explosive energy of 1.2 million megatons of TNT.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.