One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large city, typically one with a population of over ten million people.
- ‘The United Nations coined the term megacity in the 1970s to describe metropolises with 10 million or more residents.’
- ‘Besides, in the next 15 years, Bangalore is slated to be counted among the 20 megacities of the world.’
- ‘In March 2001, Toronto works staff gave five transfer stations around the megacity the green light to accept electronics in their collection duties.’
- ‘Almost all of the mega-cities face major fresh water challenges.’
- ‘The growing prevalence of megacities means that they are extremely important to marketers in all kinds of industries.’
- ‘By 2015, there will be 33 mega-cities, 27 of them in the developing world.’
- ‘Hence, the two megacities in the Montreal region suffered devastating defeats.’
- ‘In three decades covering the Middle East, I have watched it evolve from a largely rural society to a realm of teeming megacities.’
- ‘Air pollution was once primarily the scourge of megacities like London, where coal smoke killed 4,000 people over one week in 1952.’
- ‘For the past 10 years, Shanghai officials have spent billions on what rightly is a contender for the first mega-city of the new millenium.’
- ‘In all, 51 of 86 former municipalities in the merged megacities managed to obtain enough signatures.’
- ‘The 12 pension funds are the leftover from the formation of the megacity.’
- ‘I had planned to spend my first Saturday-night in the megacity up in my almost double bed watching something interesting in the telly.’
- ‘The speed by which some mega-cities are growing has slowed.’
- ‘Even in the most sophisticated urbanized area of a megacity, every human being is utterly dependent on the generosity of nature.’
- ‘The megacities become the main areas of population within America.’
- ‘This is the ominous new era of doublespeak about land-use planning in the megacity.’
- ‘Like Tremblay, he promises to help municipalities wiped out by the megacity maintain their sense of community.’
- ‘Prior to amalgamation, five of the six municipalities that would make up the megacity ran their own shelters.’
- ‘It has become a mega-city, without proper infrastructure or human resources.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.