One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A very large city, typically one with a population of over ten million people.
- ‘Besides, in the next 15 years, Bangalore is slated to be counted among the 20 megacities of the world.’
- ‘Prior to amalgamation, five of the six municipalities that would make up the megacity ran their own shelters.’
- ‘The 12 pension funds are the leftover from the formation of the megacity.’
- ‘I had planned to spend my first Saturday-night in the megacity up in my almost double bed watching something interesting in the telly.’
- ‘The speed by which some mega-cities are growing has slowed.’
- ‘Air pollution was once primarily the scourge of megacities like London, where coal smoke killed 4,000 people over one week in 1952.’
- ‘In all, 51 of 86 former municipalities in the merged megacities managed to obtain enough signatures.’
- ‘This is the ominous new era of doublespeak about land-use planning in the megacity.’
- ‘Almost all of the mega-cities face major fresh water challenges.’
- ‘In three decades covering the Middle East, I have watched it evolve from a largely rural society to a realm of teeming megacities.’
- ‘By 2015, there will be 33 mega-cities, 27 of them in the developing world.’
- ‘The United Nations coined the term megacity in the 1970s to describe metropolises with 10 million or more residents.’
- ‘The megacities become the main areas of population within America.’
- ‘It has become a mega-city, without proper infrastructure or human resources.’
- ‘Even in the most sophisticated urbanized area of a megacity, every human being is utterly dependent on the generosity of nature.’
- ‘For the past 10 years, Shanghai officials have spent billions on what rightly is a contender for the first mega-city of the new millenium.’
- ‘Hence, the two megacities in the Montreal region suffered devastating defeats.’
- ‘In March 2001, Toronto works staff gave five transfer stations around the megacity the green light to accept electronics in their collection duties.’
- ‘Like Tremblay, he promises to help municipalities wiped out by the megacity maintain their sense of community.’
- ‘The growing prevalence of megacities means that they are extremely important to marketers in all kinds of industries.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.