An antimalarial drug consisting of a fluorinated derivative of quinoline.
- ‘There has been a lot of media attention on the side-effects of the drug mefloquine (Lariam).’
- ‘The review found no significant difference in the rate of withdrawals from mefloquine compared with other drug treatments.’
- ‘Quinine formed the basis for synthesising the commonly used antimalarial drugs, chloroquine and mefloquine.’
- ‘So we combine it with established treatments such as chloroquine, mefloquine and the like.’
- ‘The drug is also known generically as mefloquine.’
1970s: from me(thyl) + fl(uor)o + quin(olin)e.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.