Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of an aircraft or missile) able to travel or operate over a medium distance.‘medium-range nuclear missiles’
- ‘Any nation with a medium-range missile might be able to knock a satellite out of low Earth orbit.’
- ‘Harpoon is a medium-range missile with a range of 120 km, a 220 kg warhead and active radar terminal guidance.’
- ‘The document also stated that Libya had shown interest in acquiring medium-range missiles from North Korea.’
- ‘The Thaad missile, designed to intercept medium-range ballistic missiles, missed its target in six consecutive test shots.’
- ‘The long-lived Hughes Falcon was a short to medium-range missile capable of Mach 4 speed and a range of about 7 miles.’
- ‘When he visited Europe in June 1982, hundreds of thousands of protesters took to the streets to oppose his proposal to place medium-range missiles in Germany.’
- ‘India is also one of the few admitted nuclear powers, with short and medium-range missiles.’
- ‘The Sikorsky is what is classed as a medium-range aircraft, with a range of about 200 miles, a capability to hover at the scene for 45 minutes and the ability to transport 15 people.’
- ‘A search uncovered 15 medium-range Scud missiles packed under bags of cement, along with conventional high explosive warheads and drums of fuel.’
- ‘A spokesman said they would purchase at least three medium-range helicopters in 2003 and would consider additional purchases.’
- ‘At an army day parade last year it displayed new mobile launchers for upgraded medium-range missiles.’
- ‘This weekend, Pakistan tested two missiles - a medium-range and a short-range ballistic missile - both capable of carrying conventional and nuclear warheads.’
- ‘Airbus says it intends to equip its short and medium-range aircraft in the A320 series with mobile phone technology.’
- ‘The new medium-range missile can reach between 150 km and 200 km.’
- ‘The Derby missile is a medium-range, active radar-guided missile originally developed for the air-to-air role.’
- ‘The navy also had a rocket program and was working on a medium-range missile called Vanguard.’
- ‘Images of 15 medium-range Scud missiles and conventional warheads discovered by a boarding party were quickly beamed around the world.’
- ‘Both sides have the ability to deliver the weapons from medium-range missiles or from aircraft.’
- ‘Plans for the company to take over 26 short / medium-range airliners from Swissair and the same number of long-range aircraft under a plan called Phoenix Plus remain intact.’
- ‘Pakistan yesterday test-fired a medium-range, nuclear-capable missile, the second such test in less than a week, the army said.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.