One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fruit fly whose larvae can be a serious pest of citrus and other fruits. Native to the Mediterranean region, it has spread to other regions including the US.
Ceratitis capitata, family TephritidaeAlso called medfly
- ‘To fight outbreaks of the Mediterranean fruit fly, or medfly, states like California and Florida rely on shipments of millions of sexually sterile medflies reared in laboratories.’
- ‘One of the most notorious agricultural pests is the Mediterranean fruit fly, Ceratitis capitata.’
- ‘In 1996 we detected Mediterranean fruit flies in one of our traps.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly Ceratitis capitata is a major pest of many important agricultural products.’
- ‘The Mediterranean fruit fly, commonly called the medfly, is one of the world's most destructive agricultural pests.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.