Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Think deeply or focus one's mind for a period of time, in silence or with the aid of chanting, for religious or spiritual purposes or as a method of relaxation.
ponder, reflect, deliberate, contemplate, muse, cogitate, ruminate, be lost in thought, be in a brown study, broodView synonyms
- ‘As Howard meditated in silence, his mind cleared and his self-centered thoughts faded away.’
- ‘Often we just plop ourselves down to meditate and just let the mind take us wherever it may.’
- ‘Shoving these thoughts aside, he meditated, laboriously clearing his mind.’
- ‘I always try to have a place to worship in my own way, even if I do nothing but meditate and rest my mind.’
- ‘Personal practice is a period in the day that we have set aside to meditate.’
- ‘In complete silence, I meditated and fought off the frightening hallucinations which often happen in the face of sensory deprivation.’
- ‘When we meditate and clear our minds we are aligning the energy fields back into balance.’
- ‘Ever since I remember, I have been praying, meditating and attending spiritual workshops.’
- ‘I went into my own deep silence and meditated so that I could be clear and calm.’
- ‘She sunk into the part of her mind where she went when she had to meditate.’
- ‘I usually try to meditate to clear my mind of distractions, but I hadn't had a chance.’
- ‘Virtually anyone can meditate and focus; awareness and relaxation improve with practice.’
- ‘The gentle spin of the wheel is supposed to concentrate the mind in order to meditate.’
- ‘Each of them sat in place, meditating, getting their focus back.’
- ‘He went to therapy, read books on spirituality, meditated, and tried to go cold turkey.’
- ‘She was supposed to be meditating, and clearing her mind, but there was too much going on to do that.’
- ‘He meditated and focused, like Unia taught him to.’
- ‘Passengers have a right to relax, read, work in silence or simply meditate.’
- ‘A natural endurance athlete, he spends a lot of time meditating, doing yoga, and simply focusing on breathing.’
- ‘I don't mind what religion people are, I think anyone can meditate but I think as a form of prayer it really has that special depth.’
- 1.1meditate on/upon Think deeply or carefully about (something)‘he went off to meditate on the new idea’
contemplate, think about, consider, ponder, cogitate, museView synonyms
- ‘I suspect meditating on this idea might relieve me of some of my day-to-day anxiety derived from my high expectations of my own performance.’
- ‘As Maria flies to her daughter's bedside, she meditates on her own life.’
- ‘Toward that end one resolves to listen to, reflect upon, and meditate on the teachings energetically.’
- ‘I've been meditating on an image for a woodcut and this may well be it.’
- ‘Too much meditating on this gave me the jitters twice over.’
- ‘The next few moments were spent meditating on that verse.’
- ‘He has chosen wisely and well, inviting us to reflect and meditate on his selections.’
- ‘I've been meditating on the perfect holiday gift for you.’
- ‘He meditates on history, ponders sea life, ruminates on the land-water divide, and marvels at public housing, great bridges and giant electrical plants.’
- ‘Who wants to spend their time meditating on that happy thought?’
- 1.2with object Plan mentally; consider.‘they had suffered severely, and they began to meditate retreat’
- ‘And yet, turning in my trap, I saw her lingering before the door, very still, and as if meditating a flight up the miry road.’
- ‘He was standing before the security guard, watching her contemplatively, as if he was meditating the meaning of a particularly meaningful painting.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin meditat- ‘contemplated’, from the verb meditari, from a base meaning ‘measure’; related to mete.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.