Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A physician or surgeon.
physician, medical practitioner, medical man, medical woman, clinician, doctor of medicine, mdView synonyms
- ‘Usually the diagnosis is not difficult, and its initial recognition is within the ability of all medical practitioners.’
- ‘So why should the case against medical practitioners be different?’
- ‘Alternative treatments, though, are often given a pass by Western medical practitioners.’
- ‘It is something that medical practitioners and public health service providers are absolutely delighted about.’
- ‘I can highly recommend it for medical practitioners.’
- ‘They hold that such claims are an unlawful restraint on medical practitioners.’
- ‘As we know, this bill was supposed to be based on the Medical Practitioners Act, but the medical practitioners do not want a bar of this bill any more.’
- ‘It requires five years of medical school and a one-year internship for a medical practitioner to be registered.’
- ‘However, in the absence of access to dental care, a medical practitioner may be called on to help.’
- ‘As medical practitioners we are not alone in facing uncertainty and risk.’
- ‘It also extends, where relevant, to medical practitioners and health practitioners generally as well as to hospital authorities.’
- ‘All medical practitioners must be able to diagnose and manage depressive illness effectively.’
- ‘The motive of the researcher, therefore, differs from that of the medical practitioner.’
- ‘Many doctors were critical of the therapeutic value of treatments offered by masseuses, and indeed of those medical practitioners working with them.’
- ‘The biomedical scientists and medical practitioners would have liked greater technical details.’
- ‘Such medicines may only be dispensed under a prescription, made usually only by a medical practitioner or dentist.’
- ‘We would be failing in our duties as medical practitioners if we did not make this information public.’
- ‘The three member tribunal which comprises a senior legal practitioner, a medical practitioner and a sports administrator will meet at a date to be announced.’
- ‘Most importantly we'd recommend consulting a medical practitioner or dietitian before excluding any major food group like dairy from the diet.’
- ‘It is to remove medical practitioners from the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Bill.’
medical practitioner/ˈˌmedəkəl prakˈtiSH(ə)nər/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.